My Dental Care Journey; Ending the Drama for Good
At one point I had just had a bridge added on the back left side of my mouth and then a month later required a root canal in one of the teeth supporting the bridge. I needed additional dental work and the expense of it all was a large burden. Worst of all was the excruciating pain that I experienced daily, the root of each tooth throbbing in pain. Cold water, hot foods, brushing … everything hurt.
I brushed three times every day, flossed, and did everything I was supposed to do. I used dental care products with fluoride. Why was this happening to me?! I began searching for more information. Of course, all of my initial search results were from the “experts” in the dental care industry and advised to do the very things that I was doing daily. I knew that I would have to dig deeper.
Eventually I found a website by Wellness Mama that offered some intriguing information. She talked about how she found new ways to care for her self to avoid dental problems and I started taking new steps to change how I was approaching oral care.
Once I stopped using commercial dental products and started using some alternative products and methods I found some relief. When paired with changes in my diet, the results were remarkable. I visit the dentist less often and no longer have pain. The following is an outline of what worked for me and includes some product suggestions and information that can help you.
Sticking with daily habits are important in improving dental health. Here are the steps I follow and the products that I recommend.
Morning (After coffee, before eating)
- Swish with Brushing Rinse
- Scrape tongue with a spoon or tongue scraper to remove toxins that built up over night while sleeping
- Gently brush with Earthpaste using a soft tooth brush
Afternoon (after eating)
- Floss with a simple no-fluoride dental floss
- Brush gently with Earthpaste
- Brush gently with earth paste
- Brush with these products before sleeping
- Instead of toothpaste I use this natural blend from OraWellness which really changed my dental health in a positive way
- Using the Bass Brushing Method is truly life changing – it takes a committment to change brushing habits but I believe this is hugely beneficial
- I’ve tried different Bass toothbrushes but the original BASS toothbrushes from Italy really do the best job. This company makes great products.
- Avoiding fluoride in all forms including water
- Avoid chewing popular commercial chewing gum
- I occasionally gently brush with baking soda.
- I occasionally brush with activated charcoal about once a month to pull out toxins and whiten teeth.
- Oil Pulling is recommended but this did not work for me personally – I believe because I have Mercury fillings and the oil started pulling out toxins that made my mouth hurt.
- I quit seeing traditional dentists who always have expensive recommendations. Even though my dentist seemed like a very nice person, visiting him was always stressful, expensive, and ultimately not in my best interest.
- I have started to slowly replace my mercury fillings with non-toxic fillings with a holistic dentist.
Diet and Health
Changing to a Paleo diet was life changing in many ways but one of the largest benefits was improved dental health and elimination of inflammation. It helped to cut out grains and sugars, add healthy fats, eat protein and produce, take in more magnesium both orally and topically, add probiotics like yogurt, kimchi, and kombucha, and drink more water. There were many additional benefits such as elimination of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), increased energy, and better immune system health.
Do Your Research
Don’t just accept the first information you come across. Entities like the American Dental Association will often promote products that are not in your best interest only because they stand to gain revenue from the sale of these products and through poor dentistry practices. Dig deep and learn to evaluate the information you find. Experiment with products and practices. Don’t just trust “fact checking” entities like Snopes – if you dig deeper you will often find that these are just store fronts for an agenda and actually have no credibility. Most importantly, trust your gut instincts.
These are the resources that I have found to be the most helpful. Feel free to check them out.
How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally
Oral Affects the Health of the Whole Body (Part 2)
How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally
How to Whiten Teeth Naturally (and Prevent Poisoning)
Should I Take Supplements?
Are You Low on Magnesium? (Probably so!)
I also like Mercola for health information
I hope this information was helpful. I would love to hear your thoughts and what works best for you in improving your experience. Best wishes to you on your dental journey!